template

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring Has Hatched or so I thought :)

Well I am officially on Spring Break... but wanted to catch up with a post about our first spring craft that my students made.... Spring Chicks!


I started with my prek crew and they loved it.  We worked on recognizing the parts of my "model" chick and they had to name all the materials we needed.  This led me to practice labeling the parts of our chicks.  After they identified all the parts and materials they needed, they practiced requesting those items.  We also talked about positional concepts to help identify the location of the parts (below the chick's eyes, behind the plate, top/bottom).  They all loved this activity.


My next crew that joined in on the chick fun were my K crew.  With this group we continued our work with the EET ... Expanding Expression Tool.  First we used the EET to describe chicks and each student took a turn with each bead.  These students have been working on telling the function or what we do with objects.  They had to provide the function of a named object to earn the pieces of their chick.  Once they had all the parts of their chick they created the chicks by following 2 step directions that I provided to them.  Amazing what fun comes from a simple craft.  I always have to remind myself to use the KISS principal... keep it simple silly!

I then finished out my week with some of my older (3rd and 4th grade) articulation students who just like my prek and K crew members LOVED creating the chick as well.  I wasn't sure if they would think it was "babyish" but NO they all wanted to make one.

Some other students with my SLP partner Clare made some nests and that rounded out our Spring display.  Really brightened up our hallway!



NOW all we need is our warm temperatures back and then Spring will really be hatched!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome to my blog! I am speech language pathologist in a public school and have the privilege of working with children between the ages of 3 and 10. I also have a small private practice. I am married and the mom to a wonderful little boy. My undergraduate degree is from the University of Hartford in Early Childhood Education and my master's degree is from Montclair State University in Communication Disorders.